left right

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Series Premiere Review: The Cape

I couldn't wait for The Cape to premiere, its been a while since I've seen a good 'superhero' type series. I used to be a fan of them when I was younger, so I was excited when I heard about it. I was prepared for a two hour action-packed thrill-ride.

Needless to say I was somewhat disappointed.

The story and the concepts was intriguing. A cop, framed as a serial killer and later trained by an underground circus-themed crime troupe turned mentors, rises up as a Batman-type vigilante against a syndicate with its own privatized police force run by psychotic criminal mastermind. It has all the elements that are critical to every superhero story. What went wrong?

One word-- pacing. It was painfully slow, and all the action parts were choppy and too fast-paced to enjoy before it returned to its ridiculously slow storytelling.

I think it was a bad idea to stretch this out into a two-hour time slot. It would have been better if it was edited down to an hour or maximum hour and a half. Or better yet, break it up into nicely paced parts instead of one long stretch.

Despite this setback, I hope The Cape continues and gets better pace-wise. I'm looking forward to it.

What did you think of The Cape? Comment about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by WebRing.